Sunday, August 19, 2007

'Come with me if you want to live."

I had a strange dream this afternoon. Outright bizarre, actually, totally compelling, energizing and stirring hope deep within me for the future of quality television.

It must have been a dream because it would be impossible and probably illegal for me to have actually watched a DVD rip of "The Sarah Connor Chronicles" because the pilot episode I remember from my dream isn't going on the air until January or something.

Not since Firefly have I sat up at the end of a show and shouted "HELL YES!"

There's a lot for me to say about this show. If you're a big fan of the Terminator movies and are looking forward to this new for television edition and don't want it spoiled, stop reading I'm spilling some juicy details - but it was all a dream, a mere fantasy in my head, not the real thing, so maybe it's not a spoiler...

First of all back to my Firefly reference. My favorite actress Summer Glau made her way into this show. After her breathtaking performances in Firefly and Serenity I just couldn't see how this seemingly sweet young girl with a titanium spine and a thirst for blood would ever find a role so sweet yet sinister, so peaceful yet violent than the one she played as River.

I expected Summer to show up in some kind of "Girls Kick Ass" genre movie (think Tank Girl or Charlie's Angels) or maybe show up in a comedy or drama being funny, beautiful and sweet but I didn't see any way to bring her range to kick ass and be sweet all at once and to switch from a vulnerable little girl and a cold blooded killing machine in a scary, sexy heartbeat. I had written Firefly/Serenity off as a fluke where the dipshit producers of 21st century media fell asleep at the switch and let a good story get made.

I was wrong. I won't go into too many details, that might ruin your fun. Let's just say that with Cameron, Summer's character in TSCC the titanium spine isn't a euphemism.

Thomas Dekker is playing John Connor, I liked him in Heroes though he was more of a side player there. In my dream this afternoon he was again playing a pseudo sidekick to not one but two scary, dangerous, beautiful women. He played vulnerable, scared and frustrated which was a bit frustrating for me. How many Skynet killing machines does mommy have to kill for you before you stand up and act like a man John!?

I'm really, really hoping this series develops to the point where we can see Thomas Dekker playing John Connor, leader of the rebellion and the last hope of all mankind not the scared little high school kid. I'll put my money on Thomas to pull off the character if the writers and directors ever give him the chance.

I was in my teens when the Azar's Big Boy Waitress with the big hair was dragged into the center of a plot to destroy all mankind and I've been in love with her ever since. Linda Hamilton through the movie series developed the character from a scared young pigeon to the lean, vicious protective tigress. Lena Headey has done an excellent job slipping convincingly into this role. I have to admit I haven't seen any of her other work (No, I haven't seen 300 yet...maybe in another dream soon.) so I had no pre-conceptions. That made it easier to accept her as Sarah Connor.

The pace, writing and the fact that Lena has NAILED this character was part of what really allowed me to suspend reality and become immersed in this story, again. A few clever twists (and a time machine) have opened up the world of The Terminator to what I hope is a great series. If the pilot I dreamed is any indication we should all be in for a great story played by a strong cast with some solid directing and writing that's a classic I'll end up putting on the shelf right next to Firefly. Too bad it was all just a dream...

No comments: